Rick:

Angcm. leonis is found on Madagascar and on Comoro. I have plants of both forms that I obtained from Fred Hillerman years ago. According to Fred, and to my own experience, A. leonis from Comoro needs considerably brighter light than A. leonis from Madagascar. Taxonomists say they are the same species, which they may be, but there are some dramatic differences.

The Comoro form of A. leonis makes larger plants, with narrower leaves; it has fewer, larger flowers, and often tends to bloom successively if inadequate moisture is provided during bud development. Even with appropriate moisture, it tends to drop the first flowers on an infls. before the last ones open. It requires higher light to thrive than the Madagascan form. My Comoro A. leonis generally flowers with four to five flowers per infls., that are about three inches across. My large plant produces only one or two infls. at a time.

The Madagascan form of A. leonis is a smaller plant, with shorter, wider, darker green leaves than the Comoro form. The Madagascan form has more flowers than the Comoro form, but they are smaller. My Madagascan A. leonis flowers with six to seven flowers per infls., and usually several infls. per plant. The flowers are generally all open before the oldest fade.

The Madagascan form takes less light to thrive than the Comoro form, and Fred suggested that it would be a good candidate for under lights culture.

I have seen numerous plants that appear to have resulted from mating the two forms. This is one instance where you tend to get the worst attributes of both parents: few small flowers on large plants.

So, your Angcm. leonis might do well with a similar amount of light to your Phal., if it is from Madagascar, (somewhat unlikely, because I just do not see plants of the Madagascan form often); or if from Comoro, (more likely) you should give your Angcm. leonis far more light than your Phal. I have grown them together, and the Madagascan form does not seem to suffer from being grown in higher light; it will probably just be more willing to flower under less than ideal conditions than the Comoro form.

I grow a lot of Phalaenopsis; the A. leonis is a good companion plant. I grow it in hanging baskets with New Zealand Spahgnum, in brighter areas of the greenhouse, where I also grow tropical Bulbophyllums. I keep A. leonis on the wet side for most of the year, allowing them to go slightly drier between waterings during the worst of winter. Winter minimum night temps are in the mid 60's up high where I grow them.

Hope this helps,

rob't
Robert Bedard
Robert Bedard Horticulture