When I first posted my comments on chlorine bleach destroying viruses and pot debris, my intention was to share with OGDers my expertise on the inexorable effects of chlorine bleach on all forms of protoplasm as we know it on earth.  Theoretically it might not apply to life forms not based on protein and/or nucleic acid, but I don't know of any such. Does Viateur perhaps? Since viruses are invisible I sought to share my technical expertise with ODGers about what they cannot see and sought to extend it to the practical problem of cleaning and parenthetically disinfecting used orchid pots.  I acceded to Viateur's sophistic demand for references by a simple set of directions about how to quickly obtain over 500 Google pages of references, which any other OGDer can verify for themselves.  Such is the nature of computer programs that the same 500+ pages come up every time the search is conducted for "virus + hypochlorite." Try it!  I now invite all OGDers, including Nancy, to test my advice by treating old dirty pots with chlorine bleach and see for themselves whether all organic matter, including spider webs and moss, do or do not vanish.  The singular exception is clinging roots which are reduced to easily hosed out gelified tubules.  After all, experimentation is the Scientific Method.  I am reminded of the old Grocho Marx quip, "What do you believe?  What I just told you or your own eyes?" Incidentally I have three outside cats, and during the past 20 years neither they, nor their predecessors, have ever lifted the cover of my bleach bath to perform self immolation.
    As for Viateur's repeated sophomoric insistences on requiring statements of easily verifiable fact to be previously published before being believed and then insisting that any given statement has not met his criteria, when one submits a post to the OGD, it is presented to the public in a publicly accessible manner.  Is there some higher criterion for "publishing"?  My perspective on the definition of "publishing" is based on my track record of having published 110+ scientific articles during my career and having been responsible for refereeing manuscripts while serving boards of two prestigious scientific journals.  What are Viateur's credentials for invoking higher criteria?  Viateur, please share them with us.        Bert Pressman