on 6/2/05 11:05 PM, Ken wrote:

> So, no input on whether Laelias root before bloom or after bloom?
>
> I received one comment off list which ran counter to my experience, so at
> the least I'd think there'd be some input as to orchid myth.
>
> My experience has been laelias root before bloom, and I can't recall what
> happens with brassavolas (the large flowered).  My one correspondent notes
> his are the opposite.
>
> Go figure.
>
> Anyone else on this list grow orchids?  Maybe we can discuss this.
>
> K Barrett
> N Calif, USA

Hello Ken,
  I thought about answering as my brassavola nodosa (obviously not the
large-flowered brassavola) just opened flowers, but as I hadn't made a point
of remembering if the roots or flowers came first, was hoping someone else
would've offered more definite observations. I'm pretty sure that this plant
has put out roots before it flowers, since I think the roots are coming out
before the growth has fully extended. The flowers on this plant at least
haven't come out and opened until the growth was finished, at which point
the roots had also emerged.
hope this helps,
charles
--