Brian,

In Stearn's 'Botanical Latin' (the BIBLE) on page 236, Stearn tells us that albus means white!

Some people do call individual clones, that lack anthocyanin or flavonoid, (but don't end up being white) 'alba'. This is improper. It would be the same thing if I called a yellow flower carmineus (red), it is using the wrong color term to describe the flower and is misleading. In this it is not what it lacks, it is what the color actually is.

Most of the improper usage goes back to the late 1700s and early 1800s and much has carried over to the present. But just because they used these terms improperly then, does not mean we should perpetuate this inaccuracy in the present. Even the best of us make mistakes, but we all should strive to learn and use the proper terms.

icones

Icones,

I'm a hobbyist orchid grower, not a botanist, but based upon a talk one well-respected speaker gave to our orchid society several years ago, my understanding is that some 'alba' orchids with suppressed anthocyanin (red or purple) and flavonoid (yellow) pigmentation can still appear greenish due to the inheritance and distribution of chlorophyll within the plant, including the flowers. Can any of our resident taxonomists and botanists confirm or deny this understanding?