----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <orchids@orchidguide.com>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:06 PM
Subject: [OGD] Hawai'i's most popular genus : Dendrodium or Phalaenopsis ?

> In a news item published today in the Honolulu Advertiser :
>
> "Dendrobiums have been popular in Hawai'i for many years, and signs are
> they will continue to be the most widely grown orchids...
>
> With the introduction of new varieties, the popularity of dendrobiums will
> continue to grow in Hawai'i."
>
> source :
> http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Jul/22/il/507220319.html
>
> I would have thought that phalaenopsis were also sold in large numbers in
> Hawai'i.
> Are dendrobiums more readily available than phalaenopsis in Hawai'i ?
>
> **********
> Regards,
>
> Viateur

============================

I've never seen Phals grown commercially in Hawai`i as they seem to require
more steamy conditions than Hawai`i provides outside of a greenhouse.
Dendrobiums (mostly D. phalaenopsis hybrids) do well outdoors and require
less shade cloth than the Phals.  It's a matter of economics as most
flowering Dendrobiums plants are used for hotel displays but most of flowers
are produced for lei.  Unfortunately, supply doesn't nearly meet demand and
most of flowers come from Thailand as sprays in quite large boxes.  One farm
on Maui has a few acres of terete Vandas that are grown mostly for plate
garnish for the restaurants.  A field of them is quite a sight as they are
grown closely together and the plants all support each other with the aerial
roots.  Most commerical orchid (and other tropical flowers) production is on
the Big Island.

David S.