I know there is one carnivorous orchid growing in the Tepui formations
in southwestern Venezuela. It was published in the Annals of the
Missouri Botanical Garden 76: 962. in 1989.... the monotypic genus is
called Aracamunia Carnevali & I.Ramírez 1989 (because of the name of
the Tepui where it was found), and the species is called Aracamunia
liesneri Carnevali & I.Ramírez 1989.

It was discovered in 16 October 1987, and the Herbaria can be found at
the Missouri Botannical Garden.

A November issue of Orchids (don`t know the year) published an article
named ""This native of Venezuela may be the first-described
carnivorous orchid". The article says "The presence of one or two
peculiar liguliform (tongue-shaped), glandular structures protruding
from the base of each leaf...suggest Aracamunia may be the first
insectivorous orchid", and that the structures are "compatible with
flypaper insect traps".

For those who have some mapping systems (like Google Earth) an check
the coordinates at: 01.26N 65.47W

It is thought to be carnivorous because "of the glands discovered at
the base of its leaves". The altitude was 1550 m. an was found "on
moss covered streambank in almost closed forest. Flowers white"

Pablo Bermudez
Lima, Peru