On the question of sugary exudates external to the orchid flower, I have
always assumed they function to attract ants to the orchid plant and/or
flower.  The ants, in turn, would then protect the orchid from herbivorous
insects.  (I believe a similar situation can be found in the peony.)
Considering the intimate relationships found between ants and other tropical
plants, this would be a natural extension.  Although guttation is associated
with reducing fluid pressure and does contain water and minerals, I find it
difficult to believe that orchids are in a position to "fritter away" excess
sugar.

Dave