Peter,
I've been thinking about your post regarding Phrags being "dreadful
house plants."

Please don't tell my Phrags -- they think they are happy in my home.
I don't have a greenhouse, and their quarters have low humidity and
average light -- they grow in my basement under flourescent bulbs and
in my sunroom. Michigan doesn't have much sun in the winter.

I've about 60 Phrags, 20 of which are in bloom or spike right now.
Two have been in nearly continual bloom for 3 years.  Most of the
others are still seedlings. Phrags typically  bloom for months.

Fly-infested pots??? Sodden peaty compost??? Not mine, nor anyone
else I know that grows them.

Staking? Yes, because their spikes get so tall. But most people stake
most orchids for shows, anyway.

Status? Yea, right! Anyone that knows me knows how much I'm into status!

I'm not a scientist like you and many others on this forum. I am an
artist -- you know, painting, sculpture, photography, computer
graphics. My interest in orchids, especially slippers, is their
beauty: shape, color, form, variety in unity -- all that artsy stuff.
Species Phrags colors boring? Try noting subtle color, markings,
shape differences. Different does not equal bizarre.

Yea, CITES is a big mistake. Probably doing much more harm than good.
But eradication of wild populations attractive??? Even sarcastically,
that doesn't make sense. Oh, I'd love to have a kovachii, but I'm not
wealthy. Maybe someday...

So I'd like to know what orchids make good house plants? Certainly
not Phals -- they like to climb out of their pots, as do most
Oncidiums. Not
Cattleya with their huge stiff leaves that like to sprawl everywhere.
Not Dendrobiums with their sometimes leafless and gangly canes that
get too tall for most homes, or like to hang down which is a problems
for those without a greenhouse. Not vandaceous with their love of
humidity and bright light. Most terrestrials don't do well in a home
environment. Lycastes and other deciduous orchids? -- probably too
hard for most home hobbyists. Bulbophyllums? They love to sprawl, and
many of them don't smell too good. Pleurothallids? Not with the
average home's lack of humidity.

I've not named all the genera, but I'll bet someone could find a
reason why any of them don't make "good house plants."

Humbly submitted...
Dot