The name Macropodiella pellucida was recently proposed as the smallest
orchid...problem is, it’s not an orchid! They are members of the
“Podostemaceae ("river-weeds", including Tristichaceae of some authors) are
the largest family of strictly aquatic angiosperms.”

My understanding of the three smallest orchid species (on plant size) are:

1. Platystele jungermannioides from Costa Rica
2. Bulbophyllum globuliforme from Australia
3. Bulbophyllum minutissimum from Australia

B. globuliforme is a smaller plant than its sister species B. minutissimum
(which were recently reclassified into the genus Oncophyllum), but has
larger blooms on taller flower stems. They are both significantly smaller in
plant size than the New Zealand species B. pygmaeum, which I have been
fortunate enough to have seen in the wild on the North Island of NZ.

As a matter of interest, an article on these three species (with photos)
will appear in an upcoming issue of the Australian Orchid Review.

I would suspect that the "smallest individual orchid flower" mantle would
probably go to an Oberonia species. Again Australia has a couple of
candidates in O. carnosa and O. palmicola, Norfolk Island has the true O.
titania, and PO'B probably knows of a few Southeast Asian members to throw
into the melting pot!

David P Banks
Manager: Hills District Orchids
Editor: Australian Orchid Review
please note new email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]