Nancy

Mutations in flowers are known to be caused by stress, chemicals, and even
viruses. However, since yours has disappeared, it may have just been due to
some environmental stress. I've seen overdoses of Superthrive cause temporary
mutations in blooms, so it could be anything.

Peloric, by definition, means that the trait must be consistent. So if it is
not consistent in the bloom, it is not peloric, perhaps a better term is
dimorphic.

Regards,
ST

nancy> Greetings -
nancy> Well, this has been a bizarre 6 months or so, capped
nancy> off by another weirdness: Dvra. Hawaiian Delight 'The
nancy> Clown' is a peloric Phal. I've had it for 7-8 years,
nancy> bought it because I found the peloric flowers
nancy> charming. They have always been peloric, every
nancy> blooming, every year.
nancy> The flowers on the first of 2 inflorescences just
nancy> opened, and the flowers are - regular, not peloric.
nancy> Is this more after-effects of the dreaded
nancy> Katrina/Rita? Is it an anomaly, or has it thrown off
nancy> the mutant genes, and now will produce standard
nancy> flowers? It is rather distressing!
nancy> Thanks for any input on this - the flowers are pretty
nancy> enough, but the peloric flower was so very lovely!
nancy> Regards - Nancy (south Louisiana)

nancy> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
nancy> "Better sleep with a sober cannibal
nancy> than a drunken Christian."
nancy>    ----Herman Melville (1819-1891)

nancy> Do You Yahoo!?
nancy> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
nancy> http://mail.yahoo.com

nancy> the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
nancy> orchids@orchidguide.com