Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:56:28 -0600
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OGD] chilling phals
To: Orchids@orchidguide.com

quoting Iris:

"The conventional wisdom is that if you chill most Phals for a period of two
weeks, they will bloom 120 days later. According to this, if I want my Phals to
bloom for our orchid show in mid-October, I have to put them on a chilling
regimen around Memorial Day. Now there may be no natural chilling available at
that time, unless we have some cool weather. I understand it has to go below 59
deg. F. I can't turn on the air conditioning in just one room. If it doesn't
go below 59 outdoors, can I put my Phals in the refrigerator overnight
(34-40)? Put ice cubes in the pot? Any other ideas?"

Dr. Wang did some phal chilling tests.  Indication of testing was a drop in
night temps some 25 degrees F lower than daytime temps, as my poor mem recalls.
 Lower temp of 50-55 with daytime around 80.  Chill time limited to around 12
hours in dark, then warm in daylight period.  But your 34-40 seems a bit too cool.

Doug