Dear Folks,

Obvious, this is a case again where the "Messenger" is to be killed for bringing "the message"

As this was sent to the list, I have no option but to answer on the list.

Dear Delfina de Araujo,

Delfina de Araujo wrote:

Don't you think that is frivolous to make a judgment and display a precipitated opinion in an orchid list based on such a superficial reading? I suppose this, because you did not even notice that our is not a commercial nursery site -- it is so obvious. A little bit attentive reading would have shown it.
No. A good site is one without such blatant errors. Before posting something, have it checked by some independant people. Again ... BEFORE you post it
Your raising doubts about the prize we won in Dijon because of typewriting mistakes is inconsistent. You are not putting in doubt our capacity but the capacity of the members of the jury.
I don't care who gets a prize. I could not care less. But the value of your prize is minimized by the JURY, not by me. The JURY did not see your mistake or did not WANT to see it.
You are right -- we are proud of the prize because it is the recognition of work performed since 1996 in promoting information on orchids.
Why hit so hard against a serious and unpaid work?
On so have million others. What has this got to do with the errors on your website?
Why trying to diminish a work which helps Brazilian and foreigner experts by making their work wider known?
I do not diminish your work. You do it yourself

Haven't you ever made a mistake? Are you infallible?
Oh OK were are on that track again .... We are not talking about my mistakes.  ... I have made many mistakes, and I am far from infallible. BUT, I don't post them on the WEB where zillions of people see them, and I don't boast with a prize for "best" Website with such flagrant mistakes.

It is not me who has AN ATTITUDE, it is YOU. If you don't want that someone tells you that you made a mistake, DON'T MAKE MISTAKES.
The site is quite big and you would need a long time to read everything, including Orchid News which is in the 28th edition. However you prefer taking a typing mistake and transformed it in a big deal.
Since Portuguese is our native language, why haven't you verified in the Brazilian version as Leo Stam did?
Why should I .... I don't read Portuguese and if you wanted to have everyone read the Portuguese site, why did you post an English version?
On the other hand, if you spend your time writing about the site, perhaps you really think it is worthwhile?
I did not say that your site is not worth looking at. I said that there are flagrant mistakes ... that is all.
By the way, Lou Menezes asked us to publish your article about Cyrtopodium species in the next edition of Orchid News.
I have no control over what Lou asks you about. But if you want to publish an article of mine, you have to ask me, not Lou.

Besides, it seems that you put in doubt the information so just for your information, among the books where you can find it, see The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Orchids, edited by Alec Pridgeon, reprinted l994, page 14, cited in the bibliography
I don't understand what you mean by this. What information do I put in doubt? ... And The Alec Pridgeon Book is not authorative. It is full of mistakes. (We have discussed that a few years ago on this list).

Sincere regards
Guido J. Braem

Sincerely

Delfina de Araujo