Smith, Garry. "Carbon Dioxide, Caves and You."
Proceedings of the 21st Biennial Australian Speleological Federation Conference
1997.

ST

Clyde> Could you please quote the reference(s) on health and brainpower effects
at
Clyde> 19% oxygen, and impaired judgment at 14 % oxygen.  I think the Federal
Clyde> Avation Administration would be very interested.
Clyde> Aloha

Clyde> ----- Original Message -----
Clyde> From: "Steve Topletz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Clyde> To: "the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)" <Orchids@orchidguide.com>
Clyde> Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:04 AM
Clyde> Subject: Re: [OGD] Population and pollution

>> Dot,
>>
>> Don't  confer  respect to me so quickly: Cynthia is correct, indeed my
>> figures  on  oxygen  levels  were  wrong.  Bad  sources, I should have
>> learned by now to only trust academic journals. However, we are indeed
>> reducing  the oxygen levels. Although the timeline is not correct, the
>> effects  are  about  right,  except  for death occuring at much higher
>> levels. Our atmospheric oxygen is around 21~20% depending on where you
>> live,  and  when  it  drops  to 19% you will have noticable health and
>> brainpower  effects.  At  14% judgement is impaired. At 10% you can no
>> longer perform any activities requiring exertion. So far we've dropped
>> the  global  levels  by  0.3%. Additionally, released carbon pollution
>> will  stay  in  the  atmosphere  for at least 100 years, and will take
>> 10,000 years to diminish, according to my Chemistry professor.
>>
>> I  still  enjoy  the idea that we must reduce the population growth in
>> order  to  avert  catastrophy.  It takes a couple to have at least two
>> children  just  to  sustain  the  population.  I hate the idea that we
>> should limit the freedom of people to procreate, but there will always
>> be  the  dregs  of society. Perhaps there should be tax incentives for
>> people  to NOT have more than 2 children, instead of bribes for having
>> more.  I highly respect womens' sovereignty over their bodies, but not
>> to  the  extent  where it will impugn upon the earthly ecosystems that
>> provide  the  opportunity  for  such  respect to exist. What would you
>> suggest? Has China got it right?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve

Clyde> the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)