Hi, Peter!

Although it's been many years since I worked in the field, I have a degree
in microbiology and was a medical technologist for many years.  I don't
know  what the USDA's exact reasoning is but Pseudomonas is ubiquitous
in nature and can be a plant pathogen.  The biggest problem is it is rather
resistant to most common antibiotics.  A possible reason for the USDA's
stance is that Pseudomonas aeruginosa is the fourth most commonly
isoloated pathogen found in hospital acquired infections.

Sharon