"The University of Hawai'i is trying to genetically engineer hardier...
orchids.
The work includes developing a bacteria- and fungus-resistant dendrobium
orchid...

the research is being conducted with the backing of the agriculture
industry, said Wayne Nishijima, an associate dean at the UH College of
Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources.
UH's work on genetically modified taro has touched a nerve among some as
being disrespectful to Hawaiian culture. ...

The university does not anticipate the research into orchids... will
generate the same level of concern.

"It's nothing that's indigenous to Hawai'i... " said Nishijima.

... the orchids... will be kept in greenhouses, UH said.
Industry proponents maintain that the risks of such research are minimal
and manageable.

Meanwhile, members of... the orchid... sector... expressed support for the
work at UH.

"We'd love everything and anything they do for us," said Graham Wood,
chairman for the Hawaii Orchid Association. "It's a great help because
we're competing with the Taiwanese, who get a lot of government support."  "

source :
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Jun/13/bz/FP606130315.html
regards,

VB