"Bletilla orchid grows stronger with pruning

By MARIANNE BINETTI

Q: ... I have a patch of hardy orchids in my shaded garden... Bletilla
striata... although they bloom well, the long stems tend to get floppy and
fall all over the pathway that is nearby.... If I prune back the new growth
in early spring, will this make the orchids stay low and grow more compact?...

M.B.: ... shorten the new growth of these hardy orchid plants in very early
spring after you see that the new shoots are about 8 inches tall, Snip off
the stems to half their height... the Bletilla orchid will bloom a few
weeks later than usual, but the flowers will be easier to enjoy, held on
shorter and stronger stems... Bletilla striata... , asking for just a cool
location in a shaded spot and lots of organic matter in the soil to keep
the roots moist. Once you make them happy, these Chinese ground orchids
will return year after year in larger colonies no matter when you decide to
prune them back. They tend to bloom better when crowded so even though they
can be lifted and shared in early spring as soon as the shoots emerge, they
do best when left in place year after year"

source :
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/274775_binetti22.html?source=rss

regards,

VB