Hi Peter -
I have to argue with you on this issue; I've tried
spraying with hot sauce, to no avail. Two years ago, I
mixed a pound of ground cayenne with a pound of white
grease, and smeared the mixture on the legs and tops
of my wooden orchid racks (think 6' tall saw horses).
Didn't bother the squirrels one bit! I even saw them
cleaning their feet by licking - no reaction.
A person at our local Wild Birds Unlimited said that
squirrels hate the bitter taste of safflower seed, so
mixing in a good proportion at first 'trains' them to
avoid your bird feeders - I have also found a bottle
of safflower oil, and may try that as an oil spray if
our temps ever cool down.
For what it's worth - Nancy