Peter, thank you for your reply and for pointing me to the work of P.T.
Seaton and H.W.Pritchard. I managed to find a relevant paper from 2000
by P.T. Seaton, at this address:

<http://www.phytosophy.org/resources/Art001-En/Art001-En.html>

The author cautions against overdrying as it may lead to a catastrophic
decline in seed viability. This makes sense to me. The last few % of
humidity probably consist of water molecules directly linked to
proteins, polysaccharides, nucleic acids and lipid bilayers via hydrogen
bonds. If you dehydrate these cell components their structure will be
altered, perhaps irreversibly. That's why freeze-dried preparations of
biological molecules use sucrose or trehalose, which are multiple
hydrogen bond donors/acceptors and replace water as it evaporates.

This paper includes an illustration of the desiccation method you
describe, and mentions that a saturated solution of lithium chloride was
also used with positive results. - Norbert