Julia wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I have owned a Phal lindeni for several years and it has never had more
>than 2 or 3 leaves on it, although it blooms every year.  I grow it
>mounted on tree fern with a sphagnum pad, and as it has been on that
>tree fern since I bought it the roots are fairly well integrated in the
>fibers.  I keep it in about intermediate temps in my basement under
>fluorescent light.  It annoys me that this plant always looks like it
>wants to jettison its leaves.  Can anyone offer some advice on getting
>better results with this plant?  Do you grow yours in pot/basket, cork,
>or TF?  I sort of think my problem might be the tree fern as I've had
>problems with other species on tree fern in the past, but I know plenty
>of people use it with success.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Julia

Hello Julia,
   A long time ago I had a lindenii that had been grown in a large pot
of fir bark. It was pretty happy until I let someone else care for it
while they watched some seed pods on it ripen; it sat in some water
during the Winter and it rotted. I think I had one other I tried to
grow in a pot, and at some point during a Winter it got too wet and
also rotted. Now, I grow only on pieces of cork bark, with loose
sphagnum around the roots. They are hanging from shelves in my
kitchen window where they never get bright light unless during Winter
the angle of the sun gets low enough to shine in late in the day.
During the Summer a fan moves air out a bedroom window and vacuum
pulls it in the kitchen window. In Winter my kitchen is only 65F at
warmest, and much cooler by that window. I try to water every other
day, but sometimes it is 3-4 days between full waterings with a spray
attachment from my kitchen sink. Humidity is never very high, but the
plants usually look pretty good. This year all my adult plants
coordinated their flowering and are now all in flower, this after a
few years of very scattered flowering all year 'round. Problem will
be that one of them always flowered around the time of our Fall Show,
but this year will be long out of flower. I have no idea how I pulled
this off (hah, I had nothing to do with it I'm sure), and am
wondering if some of them will in turn flower in less than a year and
be out of phase with the rest.
   In the past, I've had problems with things on tree fern except for
a trichopilia maculata that was pretty hardy to start with. Of my
phals, many of the small ones have died while being grown (poorly) on
tree fern. Fertilizer I think often collects too much and they burn,
so remaining phals on tree fern get alot of plain water and weak
fertilizer. I've been told that these mouns can get acidic over time
and using calcium nitrate or a basic fertilizer is necessary to keep
the substrate pH from getting too low, though have no idea if this
works or not.
   Maybe the plants are too close to the light; if they are getting
strong light maybe they feel they don't need more leaves? Mine are
pretty dark but get new leaves right along and though dark don't have
a problem flowering. They do flower more when I remember to fertilize
more when I see flower spikes starting.
hope this helps,
charles
ps Someone in tennessee told me that the way they get lindenii to
grow in their greenhouse is to put the plant into a pot that is just
big enough to hold the roots folded into it, and no potting mix. they
just water when the roots look dryish

--
charles ufford
oriskany, ny usa