P E Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> queried thusly:

Anyone else growing orchids under LEDs? I sure would like to hear
from anyone who is. Or to find books or websites with specific info,
sources for LED arrays with particular wavelengths, etc.

        I've been experimenting with some LED Grow-Master lights:

http://www.led-grow-master.com/

         (Disclaimer: the company sold them to me at distributor's prices to determine their utility in growing orchids.)

        I have been growing orchids in sterile culture under these light sources, as well as potted orchids. They seem to do the job for growing orchids in flask; however, at this stage, they are largely chemotrophic (living on the salts and sugars in the substrate), and even at very low levels of illumination they do surprisingly well.

        I should think that LED illumination may one day be competitive with fluorescent lights. Until such time that they can come down to the price of a $20 reflector and 2 x $4 bulbs, they are not a replacement. I wonder about operating costs making up for it. At perhaps 5 watts total (for bulbs and a DC transformer) versus, say, 32 watts of power from one T8 tube (a very rough equivalent), you're spending an extra 27 watts of power. Used for 12 hours a day, that's 324 watt-hours, or about 3.24 cents per day at 10 cents per KWh. Over the course of a year, that works out to $11.83. A commercial LED unit at, say, $100 versus a fluorescent unit at $12 (half of a 2-tube array) would take 7.43 years to pay for itself. That doesn't include the cost of changing bulbs every couple of years, and it's too late at night for me to do the math on that.

        It may compare more favorably with metal halide, but I've only used MH once or twice, and that was somebody else's money, not mine, so I can't remember the math.

        LEDs do have the benefit of not having to remove quite so much heat when illuminated. It may sound insignificant, but when I ran a growth chamber with 14 kilowatts of fluorescent illumination, things got pretty far out of parameters when the vent system went down.

         "marianne haeck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spaketh thusly:

Hello, someone told me that  it is impossible for Bulbophyllum to have
virus, is this true?

        Someone is gravely misinformed.

         Incidentally- someone asked about paphs and virus. From:

http://image.fs.uidaho.edu/vide/descr541.htm

        Orchid fleck (?) rhabdovirus
        Host species include:
Coelogyne spp., Dendrobium spp. (and hybrids), Miltonia spp., Odontoglossum spp., Oncidium spp. and Paphiopedilum spp. - chlorotic areas often with necrotic centres or rings.

        See the URL for a full list of susceptible species. The webpage comes with a list of ten scientific references, at least nine of which are from refereed publications.

        Or, as the doctoral student once screamed at me:

        "My plants are not virused!"
        "Oh! You've had them indexed, then."
         "What's indexing?"

        That was the first sign of trouble, right there. The second was when she insisted her plants would "have spots" if they were infected.

        Cheers,

         -AJHicks
        Chandler, AZ