To Terry Glancy who writes:

>I have noticed a strange condition affecting my breeding
>program. On an average year, I might make 400 - 500 breeding attempts on
>my Paphs, usually resulting in sending over 100 - 150 mature pods to the
>labs. Our greenhouses were recovered with brand new polycarbonate sheets
>several months before the hurricane season and I converted all the
>greenhouses over to fan & cool pads instead of the original natural ventilation.

I remember you showing me in 2004 what the field fire fumes did to your plants, causing problems year after year.
Could that problem, different from what you experience now,  in fact have been caused by gases coming from the panels
affected by heat, rather than the fire fumes?

I am wondering if your current problem may be caused by the two new materials you installed.
Could it be that  new polycarbonate panels and/or the new wet pad materials release gases fans blow over the plants.?
Were your temperatures elevated above normal in this hot summer we were having?

Something to consider, though I may be way off base.

peter