I asked the question on Phrag. besseae as when I was in Ecuador they were growing by the side of the road where I could easily take a photo and many could be seen further up the cliff. They could easily have been 'harvested ' but as some had young seed pods I assume it is now not worth collecting as so many better plants can be had from nurseries at a reasonable price.
This begs the question that if P. kovachi had been mass propagated, as P. besseae, P. k. would not be under such threat.
I am not against CITES as it protects many desirable, but less commercial, plantsbut at times reason and common sense should be considered by the applying authority.
Regards from Devon