The accusation that the kovachii seedlings from Peruflora are possibly
not kovachii was once again made in OGD 8(348) in the letter Richard
Orr posted from the Moore's and reinforced by Peter Croezen in OGD
8(349).

As an observer, I want to know if anyone has any proof or even any
reasonably sound evidence that the Peruflora Pk are not what they were
sold as?  So far all I have heard is hearsay and innuendo (e.g., a
friend of a friend who visited the greenhouse told me...).

I get the feeling this is one of those situations where the truth of
the plants' origin won't be known for certain until the fastest
growing seedlings start blooming.  Although only 5 plants were legally
collected by each nursery, each plant probably had 10+ mature growths.
 Some of the collected plants were undoubtedly in bud or bloom (as
evidenced by their display in bloom at an orchid show in late 2003 and
the Koopowitz article in the Oct/Dec 2003 OD article).  Phrag.
kovachii spikes typically carry 1-3 blooms.  In three years' time, it
wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that at least 50-100 seedpods could
be produced.

And a quick question: Does anyone know how many Peruvian nurseries
have been authorized to collect 5 plants each of Phrag. kovachii?  Is
there a list somewhere on the INRENA site?  I don't read Spanish, so I
can't tell.

Thanks,

--Stephen

--