In a message dated 11/13/06 6:03:05 AM, I wrote:
I just bought a piece of something labeled Phrag. longifolium var. gracile.

There is a page in a site called PhragWeb that tells about it. They even have a picture. Elsewhere I found an awarded one, Phrag. longifolium v. gracile 'Birchwood', AM/AOS. Of course, the name Birchwood raises suspicions. Apparently, this is one of those cases where a variant may have horticultural significance, but the powers that be deny any taxonomic significance. It does not happen only in Orchidaceae. Check out Black Hills spruce.
The same seller gave me a mystery plant in trade. It appears to be a Leptotes. Never bloomed for him. I couldn't find any pictures that helped, because they show mainly the flowers. This plant does not have clustered growths. They are strung out along a scandent rhizome. The leaves are very terete, skinny, pointed, and needle-like. The new roots are fat and succulent. Sound like anybody you know?
Iris