Ken,

Most people I have talked to do a self pollination for two reasons.

1. it is extremely rare, or it is the only example they have or have
seen of the species, so they self pollinate it to propagate the
species. In most cases growers will try to swap pollen with a
cooperating grower who has another plant of the same species.

2. it is an exceptional example of a species, that is above all other
plants of the species they have or have seen. As a result they would
be mixing inferior genes with an exceptional plant to do a sibling
cross. The grower self pollinates the plant with hope to get some
great progeny they can then sib cross to create an exceptional line
of the species.

Many individuals will self pollinate their plants because they want
to propagate a species they have and do not know anyone to swap with
the same species they can swap pollen with.

Personally, I have only self pollinated a plant for the second
reason, because it is an exceptional species and I have not seen
anything that approaches it, and I want to propagate the plant.
Unfortunately, I have found that many times self pollination gives
very poor seed production and very poor germination of what you get
for seed, this varies a lot by genera.

Tom Hillson