I heard it but I can't believe it. A phone call this evening informed me of a
plant to drain a wetland on the Barrington Tops area in New South Wales, about
two hours north of Sydney. The area of interest is Poll Blue Swamp, a pristine
montane area rich in orchids both terrestrial and epiphytic. The status of the
land is uncertain at the moment but the plan is to drain the swamp and mine the
area for sapphires and rubies. Information says these are of average quality.
Hard to belive in this so-called enightened age this type environmental
savagery could still be permitted. More information will be available in the
next week as facts are uncovered.
Alan W Stephenson
National Conservation Officer
Australasian Native Orchid Society