Orchids :-)

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of K Barrett
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 3:35 PM
To: orchids@orchidguide.com
Subject: [OGD] Science is where you find it.

Under the category of 'Science is Where You Find It' I'd like to recommend
Candice Millard's book 'River of Doubt'.  It deals with Theodore Roosevelt's
trip to the Amazon Basin in 1914.  The trip started out as a light vacation
but somewhere along the line changed to a full expedition along the
here-to-fore unnamed river nicknamed River of Doubt by previous explorers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Roosevelt  Catastrophe ensued.  But that's
another story and completely off topic.

What I did like about Millard's work was the time she took dealing with a
myriad of other topics, apart from Teddy Roosevelt.  She went into the plate
tectonics of the Amazon Basin, something I wasn't familiar with, the
development of the Telegraph system in Brazil, some anthropology (I'm sure
most of what was written at the time by the explorers was racist at best)
and Brazil's humanist political movement that shaped Brazil's flag and
politics for the 20th century. She does write quite a bit about botany, the
intense competition for resources and methods of reproduction along with
co-evolution of species.  Something I didn't expect to find in a book
ostensibly about Teddy Roosevelt.

As someone once said about Eric Hansen's book 'Stranger in the Forest',
'River of Doubt' is a cracking good yarn. No orchids per se, but a cracking
good yarn.  A blend of excitement and science, what more could you ask for?

K Barrett
N Calif, USA

  _____

Get into the holiday spirit, chat with Santa on Messenger.  Ho-Ho-Ho!
<http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us