In a message dated 2/16/07 6:03:33 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:
> the pirate plants can be prevented from entering the US market.

That may be true, but it is difficult to prevent pirating of plants that are
developed within the US. There are regulations in several states controlling
the labeling of landscape plants, but as far as I know, labeling of pot plants
is pretty unregulated. I know of two well-known patented bonsai varieties that
have been pirated for years. One of them may be out of patent by now, but I
know when the other one was patented, and it has been sold unlabeled ever
since. I only saw it once with a legal label.
By the way, I have never seen Burr. Nellie Eisler sold with a label saying it
was patented. The clone name was simply omitted.
Iris