A note from the plant tissue culture list, from 2002. I cannot speak to its veracity. The first paragraph is out of context; someone had asked for advice on the creation of haploid orchids via anther culture.

"Please could you explain to the group what practical or commercial
advantages you would be hoping for in orchid anther culture?

All I can see is disadvantages in such an approach to orchid flower
improvement.

When I discussed this matter with Don Wimber at WOC 1993, he said all
the known haploid orchids (produced from unfertilized ovule culture) had
flowered with deformed petals and no orchid hybridist would want to
breed on from them. As you know flower form reigns supreme in orchid
hybridizing.

Best regards
Alan L Winthrop."

Alan runs Tissue Quick Plant Labs in the UK, specializing in the seed propagation of paphs.

        Cheers,

        -AJHicks
        Chandler, AZ