"HYBRIDISATION... it has been a free-for-all when it comes to naming them.

Some growers chose to name the new hybrids after their favourite child, the
housing estate where the new hybrid was discovered or any name that they
fancied.

... naming a new hybrid can be done within a few weeks...

click the website of the London-based Royal Horticultural Society,
request for the necessary forms and upon completing them, include a bank
draft for 7.5 Pounds (or about RM60)...
within two weeks, the grower's preferred name would be duly registered...
"... we urge our society members to include the word Taiping as this is a
way of promoting our town abroad," said Neoh [Cheow Chin, Taiping Orchid
Society honorary secretary].
Neoh said it was also the norm [whose ?]... to name their "creations" after
the country's VIPs [or your favourite pet !!!]"

article URL :
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/3/15/north/17143246&sec=North

Regards,

VB