"One species... Ophrys produces blooms that... give off a pheromone that
excites male bees...

Bronx, where the New York Botanical Garden is holding its orchid show in
the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory. The exhibit features flowers from specialty
nurseries and the garden's permanent collection of more than 8,000 orchid
specimens. It ends on Easter Sunday...

wild species... 29 of them on Long Island, including
... pink lady's slipper [(Cypripedium acaule]
and the... crane fly [Tipularia discolor]...

The orchid crew... replacing tired and slightly faded stars... to carry the
show to its closing...
Marc Hachadourian, curator of the orchid collection, told...
"... Heat will make some blossoms fade faster... some flowers last only a
week and need to be replaced on a regular basis - like the miniatures..."
Psychopsis papilio... caused a sensation in England when it arrived from
Trinidad in 1823. The Duke of Devonshire swooned over the bloom... By 1840,
he had the largest greenhouse in the world... Only fragments of the
greenhouse remain but a world-famous garden still exists at Chatworth, the
family's estate in Derbyshire.
Marc... told... "I found lady slipper orchids in the woods one day and that
sealed it. I've been growing and exhibiting orchids for 20 years. I have
hundreds at home, and here I get to take care of thousands... "
The New York Botanical Garden's exhibition in the Enid A. Haupt
Conservatory continues through April 8...
two weeks later... at the Rockefeller Center... the 27th New York
International Orchid show opens... on April 18."

article URL :

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-gardens5140976mar25,0,2874514.column?coll=ny-news-columnists

**************
"Forty species of orchids have been reported in the literature from Long
Island, New York, but three of the species have never been substantiated
with definitive voucher specimens. Thus, the orchid flora of the island
consists of 37 verified species, one of which is represented by two
varieties. A dot distribution map of each taxon is presented, based
exclusively on over 1200 voucher specimens collected from 1841 to 1994
Citations of examined specimens are presented and indicate the most recent.
collection from each locality, along with additional information. Thirteen
species have not been collected or reported from Long Island during the
past 60 years. References to historical Long Island orchid publications are
also presented."

see :
Lamont, Eric E.
1996            "Atlas of the Orchids of Long Island, New York" in Bulletin of
the
Torrey Botanical Club, Vol. 123, No. 2 (Apr. - Jun.), pp. 157-166.

Regards,

VB