"Development is threatening the survival of a species... found along the
coastal forest here [SETIU] and in Besut. Clearing of land for agriculture
and residential projects... blamed for the imminent extinction of the
Doritis pulc[h]errima [Phalaenopsis pulcherrima (Lindl.) J.J.Sm.] unless
something is done to save the plant.

... development will probably lead to the extinction of this species in
Terengganu.

"The orchid has commercial value and the potential for hybridisation," said
Hamdan Osman, president of the Perak Orchidist Association.

Hamdan... concerned that other species found in the area, such as the
Bulbophyllum abbreviatum, an unidentified Coelogyne species, Bromhe[a]dia
finlaysoniana, Eria atrovinosa and Vanda hookeriana [Papilionanthe
hookeriana (Rchb.f.) Schltr.], would be lost...

"I was surprised to find the Vanda hookeriana in the area. I thought it was
endemic to Perak. This, too, will be gone from Penarik if it is not
salvaged," he said."

article URL :
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/National/20070426072210/Article/index_html

Regards,