Greetings from San Francisco!

I spent most of March 2007 traveling through Sarawak and Sabah, Malaysia, on
the island of Borneo.

Borneo straddles the equator, southwest of the Philippines and southeast of
the Thai/Malay Peninsula. It has extensive lowland tropical rainforests and
the tallest mountain in southeast Asia, Gunung Kinabalu, at approx 14,000
feet (4000 meters).

Even though it was not peak blooming season, I photographed well over 100
different species, some in situ, others in various nurseries:

http://tinyurl.com/37gvzy

In addition to the orchids, the number of tropical plants boggles the mind,
especially to someone from temperate North America. Those photos can be
found at:

http://tinyurl.com/2upwsn

I was most excited to see and photograph Nepenthes, and I wasn't
disappointed. Mount Kinabalu is one of the only habitats for the
indescribable Nepenthes rajah, the largest pitcher plant in the world.
Photos of N. rajah and many more Nepenthes can be found at:

http://tinyurl.com/2rpk2x

One of my favorite tourist activities is visiting local markets, and Borneo
did not disappoint. I visited three different markets from Kuching, Ranau,
and Kota Kinabalu. Borneo is famous for the dizzying array of tropical
fruits endemic to the island. Check out Artocarpus odoratissimus! Those
photos are here:

http://tinyurl.com/2j53wf

Finally, a small selection of scenery shots. Here you'll find some nice
views of Mount Kinabalu, urban scenery from Kuching, Kinabalu cloud forest
images, and lovely shots from our longboat ride up the river along the edge
of Gunung Mulu National Park at:

http://tinyurl.com/2oxjr4

A special shout out to my traveling companions, all from Australia, most of
whom are on OGD: John V., Peter M., Phil D., Alan H. and Stephen T. - thanks
for letting a Yank tag along!

After my return to San Francisco, I had the pleasure of joining noted
photographer and flower expert Ron Parsons for a wildflower walk through the
moss forest on the western flank of Mount Tamalpais, just across the Golden
Gate Bridge from San Francisco. We encountered Calypso bulbosa and
Corallorhiza maculata in bloom, along with many other spectacular
wildflowers. Those photos are at:

http://tinyurl.com/2428sx

Finally, I'm always indebted to the graciousness of Tom Perlite at Golden
Gate Orchids for allowing me to periodically visit his busy nursery and take
photos. This last visit saw a plethora of unique plants in bloom including
Masdevallia notosibirica, Bulbophyllum aff. mastersianum, several
breathtaking Pleiones, and 5 different Paphiopedilum species. Those photos
are at:

http://tinyurl.com/ysxbw4

Enjoy the show!

-Eric in SF