Lisa wrote:

>  I'd rather see the AOS retain the higher judging fees and lower the cost
>  of membership.  If the goal is to expand, the way to do it is by
recruiting new members--few of whom would be interested in the lower
judging fees, but many of whom would benefit from a lower membership
fee.  I do hope this is not a harbinger of the "new direction" the new
leadership has chosen.  The leaders of tomorrow will come from today's
new members.  The organization needs new members, and this is NOT the
way to encourage them!

>  --Lisa Thoerle, pleurothallidiot  (Let's see, I have an asbestos suit
>  here somewhere...)

Hello Lisa,
   Just conjecture here, but the judging (awards) fees alone may have
been lowered since there will be less processing and mailing of
awards slides. Since they are going to allow digital images, or just
two or three slides that will be scanned and disseminated, that will
lower that particular cost (I think at least, it can be hundreds of
dollars to make duplicates of just two or three awards slides to be
then sent to all the awards centers). I do agree, though that a lower
membership fee would likely attract more new members.

just a thought!
charles

I never thought I would be saying that I have a dracula (bella) in
bud and flower! Also after many years again have a phal bellina in
flower; phal corningiana in flower, with buds of phal pantherina,
floresensis, fimbriata, a handful of p. pulcherrimas and celebensis
and maybe a few others on the way. phal parishii flower spike blasted
again. Recently purchased coelogyne cristata in flower and bud,
smells very nice!
--
charles ufford
oriskany, ny usa