Hi Eric--

Can you suggest just how one goes about researching such intellectual
property ownership?  I'm not really at all clear about how to do that.  I
was told that a written (ie email) response from the source declaring
ownership, and permission to use, was considered due diligence under the law
... of course laws vary state to state and country to country as well.  If
the auction owner was told by a hybridizer that it was his picture, doesn't
that make the hybridizer the thief (or at least more so the thief)?

Wouldn't it be easier for everyone to simply put their/your logo and (c) as
a watermark on along the edge of the photos like so many professionals and
news agencies have done for years?  In the instance cited, I'm afraid I
would feel like I had been bushwhacked ... and I understand that there are
some unscrupulous type who are even doing that.  It all reminds of the
frivolous patents filed simply laying in wait fro someone to fall into them
and get sued ... even to the point of patenting particular candle designs!

Regards/Roger, in Bangkok