Folks:

I've always done a rather half-way job of growing my assorted jewel
orchids (Macodes, Anoectochilus; but the Ludisia is indestructible).  I
especially have trouble with the macodes, and I just purchased a new one
that I'd like to keep looking fancy.  I keep these plants in my basement
which is an intermediate temperatures space (50-60 in winter, ~70 in
summer) with decent humidity.  Some of the plants are in sphagnum and
some are in peat products.  I generally water with the well water which
is on the hard side.  Should I make an effort to water with deionized
water or similar?  Should these species be kept constantly moist?  I do
let them dry out slightly.  I was thinking that combined with my lazy
use of well water might be the reason my macodes look so sad.

Thanks for your help.

Julai