Jerry Lee Fischer who said:

>The CITES treaty clearly states that any and all
>orchid seedlings traded in vitro are exempt from
>CITES regulations as long as a phyto accompanies
>them.

Jerry I do not believe what you say is totally accurate.

It is my understanding that  besides sterile in-vitro certification,
phytosanitary documents as you mention, there is
another requirement for Appendix I orchid seedlings in-vitro crossing
International borders.

CITES Appendix 1 orchid species seedlings in-vitro must have been Artificially
Propagated from seeds of legally collected parents.(A.P.as per CITES
definition)

Example: In the case of Phragmipedium kovachii this is taken care of if the Pk
in-vitro orchid seedlings were obtained
from an INRENA licensed Pk nursery like Centro de Jardineria Manrique, who's
INRENA Pk collecting permit # is 001.
However, if an   INRENA  registered Pk nursery uses seeds from plants other
than the legally collected ones, the in-vitro
seedlings are illegal.

Finally, I believe we may conclude that  CITES Appendix I orchid seedlings
in-vitro, are illegal, if propagated from illegal plants, or obtained from a
nursery
not licensed to AP propagate the CITES Appendix I species.

peter