Yet another species is to be lost almost as soon as it has been formerly
recorded. Calochilus pulchellus, (the  pretty bearded orchid) has a known
population of 24 plants and within a few weeks 26% of these will be on the
wrong side of a bulldozer, as it carves out the lots for a residential
development. Only formerly described in March 2007 and nominated for listing as
a Vulnerable Species immediately after, this species flowers in early November.
Unfortunately in less than three weeks from now, work will start on the
development and all plants in situ will be lost.The tragedy is that the listing
will not be made until later this year and until then the orchids will have no
status and therefore are considered of no special value. No interim order for
their protection is available. The obvious difficulty is the mycorrhizal
dependency of the orchid and its very localised incidence of ocurrence. Over
the four known sites the populations are one, one four and 18. Fortunately the
18 are secure within a National Park but 18 is not a good number when one
considers the cultural difficulties and cost associated with removal and just
who will take responsibility for the plants, pay for studies to determine the
mycorrhizal needs and find space and personnel to look after them. I hope they
do not get allocated to the too-hard basket. If it sounds like I have given up,
that would be an incorrect assumption but I am well into my list of desperate
measures, in what appears to be another futile exercise.  For a photo of the
offending species please contact me off list.
Alan W Stephenson
National Conservation Officer
Australasian Native Orchid Society (ANOS)