I have been growing orchids of various types for about 30 years, but I'm
stumped with a problem that has recently occurred with about 15 phalaenopsis.
I repotted nearly all these phals (I generally use a phal mix that's a
combination of ProMix, small bark, perlite, and charcoal, which has worked well
for me) in July, and they were growing fine, sending out new roots, getting new
leaves that looked very healthy.  Several weeks later, I noticed on a few
plants that a leaf (sometimes a new leaf, but sometimes one of the older leaves
but not the oldest bottom leaf) had some mottled areas.  These areas look
almost like someone has taken a sharp pin and poked the leaves, and when viewed
from the underside of the leaf the leaf in that area looks somewhat dessicated.
 The area is also pale green/yellow in contrast to the normal healthy green of
the leaf.  There are no insects in evidence (but that doesn't mean they're not
there-I just can't see any).  These plants are under lights in my basement
growing area, and are watered weekly.  When I watered Monday, I noticed that
more plants now seem to be affected by whatever this is.  If someone out there
could give me ideas about a possible diagnosis and treatment I would be most
grateful.  I don't want to lose these plants.  Thanks!
Jane Johnson
Lexington, KY, USA