Someone here, I can't remember how long ago, pointed out
that copper wire can be used to slow the growth of algae. In the
trays of water and rocks I put on my orchid shelves to increase
humidity, algae used to grow quite quickly.  A small coil of standard
copper wire in each glass tray has greatly slowed, and in most cases
completely stopped, the growth of algae in my trays. I wouldn't think
the ciopper would hurt your orchids-maybe you could place a coil of
copper wire on the top of each pot the next time you repot?

Monica Jones