[snip]> > Even then, my understanding is that it's not really a matter > of
taxonomy once the plants are recognized. A technician who was > awake during
the appropriate bits of the PowerPoint presentation on > telling whale baleen
from sea turtle belts notices some plants that > are out of sorts, at which
point they're taken to a taxonomist who > keys them out on the basis of
morphology. Or, if he's particularly > clever, reading the tag that is appended
to the plant in question.> > -AJHicks> Chandler, AZ>

Assuming what's written on the tag isn't a previously agreed upon code name.

This US 'fruit of the poisonous tree' notion reminds me of the story of a
couple (European?) who witnessed a pickup truck load of Phrag kovachii plants,
ripped from the forest some scant weeks after Kovach brought his plant to
light.  The couple had stopped for lunch (or shopping?) in a small Peruvian
town, came out of the resturant/shop and saw the truckload. Quickly they agreed
on a plan. One person was to guard the truck from departing while the other ran
to get the cops.  Of course by the time the person got back (sans police) the
truck had gone.  However the guard believed s/he'd glimpsed an important
European collector/vendor in the vicinity of the truck but not actually
associated with it.  Rumors, innuendo, names and accusations flew about on
other email lists and internet forums regarding the vendor's identity and
possible illicit European or Japanese trade of these plants, but the
vendor/collector was never truly identified, the plants never came to light,
nor as far as I know were they ever sold.  Openly that is...

K Barrett
N Calif, USA
"Its the stuff dreams are made of."  - Dashiell Hammett