Paul,
Thank you for your posting. As someone who does travel for orchids, I
appreciate the specific references you list. One needs an education to
sort through the regulations. Such would be an excellent topic for a
seminar at a conference.
If a traveler is hand carrying perhaps a few flasks, one needs a
Phyto-sanitary Certificate. If the Customs and Border Patrol officer
does not allow one to carry the flasks on through, one can ask them to
consult "chapter and verse"... Section 23.64, 23.92 and "part 24 of this
subchapter and 7 CFR parts 319, 352, and 355."
Sounds like it would be worth the extra weight in one's luggage to carry
a oopy of the applicable regulations, 'tabbed and highlighted'!
Unfortunately the language still leaves room for the officer or traveler
to interpret the regs. The revisions refer to plain easy to understand
language. Right. How many travelers have seen the officer consult a copy
of the regs and scratch their head trying to understand, to interpret? I
suggest that the regulations should be written much more specifically.
Such action would streamline the process. One can wait for hours waiting
for a decision. Every port of entry should be required to have at least
one officer on duty on every shift who is throughly familiar with the
regulations. We should be treated equally well at ANY port of entry.
This is the minimum that we should be provided.
If there was any doubt I am complaining. Like the old saying "The right
to complain comes with the resposibility to suggest a solution." If you
have a tip or idea for me on how to start or pursue changing the
procedures or even the regs, please tell me here or off forum.
Enjoy your orchids!
Lee

p.s. Thanks to all who responded to my Oct 6 email. Related to the above
we've chosen LAX for our port of entry.

Lee Bredeson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.classicorchidtours.com <--- NEW!