About 1 year ago, after a routine backup on my main computer
using the built-in backup program in Windows XP Pro, I discovered that
about 15 years of scanned documents, photos, etc. had been corrupted.
Maybe something like this happened to Jay's computer?

            I purchased a well-reviewed data recovery software that
"guaranteed" data recovery and all that was recovered was the file names
- not one shred of data (well, that was a couple of months of arguing
with the credit card company too since it was a download and there was
no physical CD involved - plus the company never answered their
telephone). Well, it took a good 6 months of re-scanning all the tax
records, receipts, etc, but I obviously could not recover any of the
scanned checks I had sent out, or emails with attachments (like Jay
mentioned), or photos (since I did not have the originals).

            This disaster not only cost a lot of money working with my
computer tech, but also hundreds and hundreds of hours on my part. Right
after that, my computer tech set me up with an external coned hard
drive. I am using software called HDClone PRO
(http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#prof) - what happens is
that you turn on the external HD and wait until that is recognized by
the computer; then you put in the CD and restart your computer. The
computer starts up in a totally different operating system called unos
and then you clone your internal HD to the USB external HD --- every
single partition is cloned ---- everything. Just follow the simple
software tabs --- it can take many hours for the clone to finish,
especially if you have a large HD like I use (300 GB). The clone will
have EVERYTHING cloned - even the unused free areas of your existing HD.

            IF anything ever happens to your data, HD, or anything on
your computer, all you have to do is plug this cloned HD into your
computer and you have an EXACT copy of your computer (at the time you
cloned it). That is important to keep in mind - if your data / emails /
photos change a lot (like on my system), you have to re-clone every week
or so --- that way, worst case scenario - you only lose one weeks' of
work. Keep in mind also - if you have a network or your own server (like
I do here), you have to have an external HD for each and every computer
you want to do this for - the software does not clone a network. So, I
have a clone for my computer and another one for my server computer. The
other computers I just use the normal backup programs for.

            I thought people out there would like to know about this ---
it is something computer techs seem to take for granted, but don't seem
to pass on to their clients.

Terry A. Glancy

Pine Ridge Orchids, Inc.

21100 SW 300 Street