Oliver who said:

> Renanthera imschootiana was arranged in huge sprays with seasonal red berries
> and
>Bergenia leaves, placed in great blocks in the many, many hotel lobbies. It
>was certainly not be native-grown, but is unless I am mistaken is an Annex 1
>species.

It is indeed an Appendix 1 species.  The ones you saw can be legal:
a) If flowers or flowering plants were imported with valid CITES documents
b) If flowers come from mature plants raised from flasked seedlings imported
from a licensed nursery in the species' country of origin.

See CITES APP 1 Orchid species listed below:

      ORCHIDACEAE spp. 7 #1
      (For all of the following Appendix-I species, seedling or tissue cultures
obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers
are not subject to the provisions of the Convention)

      Aerangis ellisii
      Dendrobium cruentum
      Laelia jongheana
      Laelia lobata