SCHNITZ Quote:

>Hi Oliver.  All testing so far has been with Critter Creek Labs.

Interesting. Of course, knowing that the plant is infected does not take one
much further forward, unless you throw it out. I recall some Australian
experiments (on crop plants) which showed that in common with the sort of
virus that you or I encounter, high temperatures upset the ability of the
virus to reproduce. They put infected plants in chambers with light, 100%
humidity and a temperature around 55C for a couple of weeks, from which they
emerged pale, thin and virus free. I suspect orchids would emerge virus free
because they, like the viruses, were dead.

Actually, very little is known about plant immune systems. They have them:
assorted agglutination compounds analogous to antibodies which gum up the
works, and  more active systems which use short-chain RNAs to 'silence' genes
on the virus genome, or to shut down part of the plant's biochemistry on which
the virus depends. These get triggered by e.g. jasmonic acid, ethylene and
there is a documented example of a plant "throwing off" a virus infection.

Oliver Sparrow
+44 (0)1628 823187
www.chforum.org