The recent discussion about virus infection raises an issue I have long
wondered about.  If I find some infected plants in my greenhouse I can move
those plants out of the greenhouse, but isn't there some danger of the bench
surfaces retaining some latent virus that could then infect new plants?  Orchid
roots have a habit of growing through the bottom of pots and adhering to bench
surface, and then being torn open when the pot is moved.  If that plant was
infected, could the infection spread from that bit of root on the bench to a
new plant sitting on that same spot?  And how does one sterilize the surface of
a bench, especially one made of wood?  Any comments or suggestions would be
much appreciated.

Giles Smith
Santa Monica, Ca.