I agree with Charles Ufford about global warming or cooling. The popular
term of global warming is really a misnomer and the term climate change
is better. The term global warming gets people focused on temperature
when as Charles points out it is about a lot more. When scientists talk
about climate change happening or not happening they are talking about
the change happening over a short period of time not to be confused with
a gradual climate change. Species like orchids can evolve to a gradual
climate changes in rain pattern, temperature, and seasonal change. They
have a harder time with more abrupt change. They just can't pick up and
walk away from a habitat that is changing.

It is hard to predict the future especially with a system that has lots
of variables. Scientists and people can come to different conclusions
based on experience, knowledge and politics. The majority of scientists
believe based on studies that there is a high likelihood that the
climate will change rather abruptly and the main cause is human action.
They believe that the likelihood of this possible abrupt climate change
should require action by the world. Of course there are people and
scientists (who are people too) that have varying ideas about the
magnitude of the change, our ability to do something about it and
whether we should care. The decision to take action or not take action
on climate change does boil down to a cost/risk/value/benefit
assessment. This is what the high school teacher in his video breaks
down regardless of what we actually know of the outcome of climate
change. The letter from a hundred scientists to the UN climate
conference opposing the direction the UN is taking the world makes a
similar argument but in the opposite direction. One statement “Balanced
cost/benefit analyses provide no support for the introduction of global
measures to cap and reduce energy consumption for the purpose of
restricting CO2 emissions.” One thing that is wrapped up in the climate
change argument but is not addressed by the above is sustainability.

Sustainability is a big topic but in terms of climate change we are
talking about the sustainability of producing energy, which is where all
the CO2 is coming from. The world runs on fossil fuel. The use of fossil
fuel is increasing exponentially as developing countries like China
grow. Fossil fuel is a finite fuel on this planet and we will eventually
run out. Where we are as far as reserves is questionable and depends on
what you want to include as reserves. The question is do we want to
drill for oil in places like Alaska, the coast of California and east
Florida, and also strip mine up a good portion of Canada and other
places for oil shale? When do you start conserving fossil fuels and
start moving money towards other fuels? It basically comes down to a
consensus on cost/risk/value/benefit.
The better you understand the costs, the risks, the values and the
benefits of an issue the better decision you will make.

As far as climate change just being another good way to redistribute
wealth from the first world countries to the third world countries.
Human history is a good part just the continuing redistribution or
preservation of wealth. I am sure the American Indians, the Aborigines,
and many other indigenous people would have liked a say in wealth
distribution. Weaker or third world countries often got the short end of
the deal. Arab countries are probably the one exception though I'm sure
it started out poorly for them also. When oil companies get tax breaks
or logging companies get to buy tree below value and at a cost to
governments this is a shifting of wealth from the public to the private.
When the US finances its debt with the Chinese this is a transfer of
wealth. Again it just comes down to a cost/risk/value/benefit assessment.

Conservation is about valuing what you have, understanding the benefits
and being willing to bear the cost of preservation or the cost of
restoration if you didn’t understand the value and benefit in the first
place. It is about being smart with the resources you have and your
actions. Species including orchid species are disappearing at an
alarming rate much at the hands of humans. I think if the public knew
and understood the costs, risks, values and benefits of these species
and habitat and how we impact them. We would make different choices.

Mark