"Q: How long will an orchid live?...

A: ... Art Chadwick Sr.... tells the following story:

"The year was 1947. I was... learning to raise orchids from the old estate
growers in Pennsylvania. One afternoon, the head grower of a large
greenhouse operation handed me an outstanding variety of the naturally
occurring species, Cattleya lueddemanniana, and said, 'I want you to take
this and see that nothing happens to it.' He told me that he was concerned
the species were being replaced by the new big round hybrids and that this
plant was too good to lose.

The orchid had been imported from Venezuela along with thousands of others
in the early 1930s and had sold for $35, a handsome sum in the midst of the
Great Depression.
"Thanks to my parents, who maintained a small greenhouse, the plant
survived while I was away...
in 1954, I accepted a job in Texas and my entire orchid collection had to
be sold...
I remember asking my father, 'Can you take care of this until I can build a
new greenhouse?' He nodded and put the Cattleya under his arm. It was five
more years before I was able to rescue the plant from my father's kitchen
window. It didn't flower the entire time, but it didn't die either.

When I married and built a lean-to on my house, which was now in Florida,
my parents arrived with the plant as a housewarming present.

"The Cattleya finally recovered enough to bloom again, so I entered it in a
local orchid show where it received a Highly Commended Certificate from the
American Orchid Society. In 2002, nearly 55 years after I agreed to take
care of this plant, it was exhibited again and this time it received an
Award of Merit. Each spring, I look forward to the beautiful large pink
frilly flowers that remind me of the journey it has taken"

Regards,

VB