"Callman and Frances Au... specialize in growing the fragrant hanging
Honohono orchids [dendrobiums].
Au says crumbling up the Hawaiian Hapu'u  [tree fern] root [?] is great for
aeration.
feeding it daily with water and fertilizer.
Au uses a slow release fertilizer, Nutricote that feeds his orchids daily
for 100 days.

"Often times we put fertilizer and say I did fertilize it five months ago
and I don't need to fertilize more often. But that's not true. You need to
fertilize more often with less fertilizer."
And don't worry if you're "hanging" orchids drop leaves, it's normal. After
your orchid blooms don't cut the old "cane" or stem off if it's a standing
orchid, but for hanging Honohono's do. Cut from the top, let it rest and
water it, new shoots will grow out. Cut into small segments and replant it
for another Honohono plant."

Regards,

VB