I appreciate the anecdotal or best thinking on virus transmission. I
also find it logical that viruses are transmitted by insects. But I was
looking for science to confirm such. With regard to plants in general, I
have found one article.
'Encyclopedia of Plant and Crop Science' Insects as Vectors... Purcell &
Almeida, 13 April 2005, an excerpt:
"...Vector transmission processes are usually complex, even for the
seemingly simple mechanical transfer of plant viruses to plants on the
tips of vectors stylet-like mouthparts (similar to a hypodermic needle)
during feeding. In many other cases, the plant parasites transmitted by
insect vectors must multiply and circulate throughout the body of the
vector to be transmitted...."
http://www.dekker.com/sdek/abstract~db=enc~content=a713596587

I'm still interested in any such studies specifically on orchids.
Lee